Monday, December 10, 2012

Oatmeal in Argentina

 A great find today in the local supermarket

 here in San Nicolas! 


Quaker Avena Instantanea 

After three unsuccessful trips, I have finally discovered one of my favorite vegan breakfast staples hidden sneakily amongst the pasta aisle!

Both back at home and as a traveler, oatmeal is hands down one of the best vegan breakfast options available. It's cheap, nutritious, convenient, tasty and comes in many flavors...you just can't go wrong!

And the best part is that for us lazy or domestically-challenged folk, all you have to do is add your water/milk substitute and the toppings of your choice (blueberries, strawberries and banana are my favorite) and voila! So needless to say, I was a bit frustrated when I was not initially able to find it here in the supermarkets.

With Banana, Walnuts, and Raisins

There were not many varieties available (I could only find the Instant and Unflavored variety) and not a very large supply, but I was finally able to spot it in the most random part of the supermarket. Back home, it would be located in the breakfast cereal section, however here in Argentina, you never know where you might find it!

I wasn't able to find my favorite flavors (Maple Brown Sugar & Apple Cinnamon..YUM!) but with some added fruits, raisins and a packet of natural sweetener (Truvia) that I brought from home, I was able to make a great breakfast that reminded me a lot of home. Another big plus was that they don't sell the individual packets and so being forced to buy a large box full of oatmeal, you are sure to have enough to last for the majority of your trip!

So the tip of the day is: If you don't find a certain item in the first few shopping trips, don't give up and keep on looking! You might not find exactly what you are looking for, but I promise that if you are patient, you will find enough options to help you get by and survive your trip!

I Recommend: Quaker Instant Oatmeal or in Spanish: "Quaker Avena Instantanea"

No comments:

Post a Comment