Monday, December 3, 2012

Animal Ingredients List in Spanish

1) Grasa Bovina/Grasa Cerdo: Beef/Pork Fat

  • Be sure to keep an extra eye out for this one! It has surprised me many times so far, hidden in seemingly innocent products such as breads, empanada crusts, and personal pizza doughs. 

2) Leche en Polvo: Powdered Milk

  • This one is not quite as surprising as the first, but nonetheless I have found it unnecessarily stuffed into many breads and wheat products.

Lactal Generic Whole Wheat Bread with Powdered Milk

Bottom Line Is: Watch out, stay on your toes, be inquisitive, don't be shy to ask questions, and brush up on your Spanish!

I know that as vegans, reading the ingredient list is second nature, but living here in Argentina requires extra care and attention. I have found that they somehow find a way to add animal ingredients to food for seemingly no reason here except that they just love their animal products!

I think even long-time vegans may be thrown off by some of the ingredients I have across across so far (and my journey is still just beginning!).

Tip of the Day:  Don't rely too heavily only on your vegan intuition and go the extra-mile to research strange or foreign ingredients, they might surprise you!

  • Stay Tuned for more additions to my list :) !

No comments:

Post a Comment