Thursday, November 22, 2012

Health Food Store in Downtown San Nicolas

So today while I was on my way to the center of San Nicolas to see a movie with my boyfriend, I stumbled upon a very small little health store called "VITAL ALMACÉN NATURAL" and went right in to check out what they have! 

In Spanish, health food stores go by the name "DIETÉTICA" or you can also keep an eye out for stores that advertise with names such as "PRODUCTOS NATURALES" or "SUPLEMENTOS DIETARIOS." 

Unsalted Almonds ("Almendras Peladas")

I have heard that here in Argentina, health food stores and products are not really common and pretty pricey and so I wanted to see if this was indeed true. The store was very simple and had a decent selections of items, many of which I found to be an affordable price.

I didn't find anything that really made me jump up and down, but I did see some interesting products that I haven't seen anywhere else so far. They did have some gluten-free products, which I thought was great for a gluten-free traveler searching for some snacks while on-the-go.

They had some chocolate-covered coffee and raisins, gluten free crackers and bread, nuts, seeds, teas, granola, herbs, and an assortment of other products.

Since I am on a budget, I ended up buying just two bags of whole flaxseeds (semilla de lino) at only 3 Argentine pesos each and a small bag of almonds (almendras) for 16 Argentine pesos.

Cheap Flax Seeds! ("Semilla de Lino")

Overall, I found that you definitely won't find the huge selection and variety that you would get back home, but you might stumble upon a few rare items that you wouldn't be able to find in a normal supermarket here in Argentina.

If you can stretch your travel budget a bit, I think that it's definitely worth buying a few items at one of these stores once in a while. I look forward to seeing what I can find at some of the others!

If you want to check out the small store I stumbled upon or any others in San Nicolas, here is a list of all the shops in the city:

Also, here is another list of health food and supplement stores in the city of Rosario (can't wait to check some of these out..soymilk please!?!):

No comments:

Post a Comment